Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Confessions of a Bad Mom

My "Bad Mom" Secrets (inspired by this Oprah show):

I have...

threatened to throw every single toy in the garbage and give it to the garbage truck to take to the dump forever and ever.

gone more than one day without even offering a vegetable or fruit with a meal.

bribed my son.

shamelessly bribed my son.

bribed my son with candy and/or other junk food.

used empty threats knowing full well they were empty.

told Mateo that the pilot will throw us off the airplane if he keeps kicking the seat in front of him (in mid-flight).

faked changing a really bad poopy diaper during my husband's turn so he would do something for me in return.

lied about how many poopy diapers I changed that day so my husband would do the next one.

started potty training, been too lazy to follow through, and then gone back to diapers.

lied to my child. Multiple times.

told my child the french fry machine was broken at McDonald's so I could get a shake through the drive-thru without having to also get him fries.

told Mateo the dog will bite him if he bothers her anymore even though I know she never will.

given in on more than one occasion to avoid a tantrum or endless whining.

made up some "important" errand to do just to get out of the house by myself.

used the TV as a babysitter.

hid toys that I hated.

turned the music up to drown out Mateo's screaming in the car.

secretly hated parents with well-behaved children.

faked crying to teach my son a lesson.

really cried out of frustration.

put my child in time-out for longer than the Supernanny, pediatrician approved length of time.

ignored my child to surf the internet.

skipped story time before bed just cause I didn't feel like it.

used "the baby weight" as an excuse for how I look.

exploited my child on a very public, world-wide blog.


So...what are your bad mom secrets?

3 comments:

InventingLiz said...

Hi - thanks for you comment on my blog, about foster adoption. I am definitely thinking about it if I decided to adopt a second child, so I'm glad for the info you gave. It's true that I didn't realize photolistings might not be a good representation of the children available, I will keep that in mind. And it's good to know that it is possible to adopt a toddler. Thanks again!

Yondalla said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I left a comment there in response. I think we don't actually disagree.

Erin said...

Oh my, I think I've done every one of these.