Monday, February 16, 2009

Book Review



I read this book on the plane on the way to Florida for our Disney trip. I've been meaning to write a review but have so much else going on to blog about. Well, I'm finally carving some time out because I think it deserves a mention, at least. Most of you Ethiopian adoptive parents have probably already read it, but if not, here's my input.

This book tells the story of Amy and Josh, early struggles in their marriage, trouble with infertility, then their ultimate decision and journey to adopt their young son, Silas. Parts of the story are told by Amy, and parts by Josh. This, in my opinion, is the best part of the book. We get a look into both their perceptions, opinions, and their side of the struggle so many of us face. I felt like I could always relate to one or the other. The book itself is an intimate look into the lives of two honest hearts that are seeking to do God's will, while processing the pain of being infertile. But hope is the purpose of this story. As they set out to adopt a son from Ethiopia, their eyes are open to God's bigger plan in their life. It's an easy read, and fast too. I pretty much read it in one sitting. The only thing I wished that the book didn't provide was a few more pages. I would love to hear more about their lives with Silas. But I suppose you can check out their blog for that. Even though I can't relate to the Ethiopian side of the story, the writing is something anyone can appreciate. I had tears in my eyes while reading the story of meeting Silas' birth mother. That was my favorite part.

Bottom Line: take a half day out of your schedule to read this gem, especially if you are affected by adoption in any way. It's a definite winner!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thanks for the kind words and for posting a review! Glad you enjoyed the book!!!!! :)

Thanks again!!!
Amy