Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Gratitude Tag

Someone tagged me! Here are five things I am thankful for this year (in no significant order).

1. My best friend and team mate in life, Dave. When he was gone in China this month I felt like part of my soul was gone too. He is the most patient, gentle, loving man. He is a great husband and father.


2. Mateo's birthmom. She may have messed things up in her life, but it was no mistake giving birth to the baby we call our son. We are so thankful for adoption and the opportunity to love Mateo with all our hearts. I am thankful Mateo's birthmom was courageous enough to carry him full-term and allow social services to find a family for him without a fight. She is a brave woman and I hope we get the chance to meet her someday.

3. The best kid in the universe, his feisty personality, and everything he has taught us in the last year!

3. My best friend (and her husband) Devan and Scott. They keep me sane, grounded, and laughing every week. It sucks that they live so far away but I'm happy they are willing to run up their phone bill talking to me almost everyday and visiting at least twice a year.

4. Family! My mom who is the best Nana ever and has a great relationship with Mateo. She also watches Mateo overnight for us every time she has vacation days. My grandma who I can credit for all the good things about me. She is the greatest role model I had while growing up and gave me my heart for needy people.


5. Our jobs which we love and are passionate about and which give us the financial resources to own a home (albeit very small), afford food and all the basic necessities, allow us to give to the ministries we feel led to, and luxuries like going on vacation to Disney after Christmas!!!

Yes, I guess you can say I'm thankful for Disney World.

Now I'm tagging: Devan (via facebook), Melodie, Heather, Scott, and Rachel

Happy Thanksgiving, again!

3 comments:

Melodie Monberg said...

Ha! I got your post right after tagging you! Have fun in Disney! We got there every year as Matt's mom lives in FL!

Have you ever read my friend's blog on my roll? Chocolate, Vanilla and Caramel. I think you'd like what she writes!

Unknown said...

Ha! So fun to read!! Thanks for your comment on my blog!! Your little guy is adorable! :)

Jen said...

Thank you for your comment on our blog. I just finished reading all that you wrote about the first few days/weeks/months of having Mateo home. Thanks you for the honesty, insight, and most of all the hope. As we are in the process of changing our preference, to 0-4 we may encounter some of the same issues. I, too believe that attachment is not necessarily directly correlated to the age of the child but more to the life experiences wihin that child's life. In the early stages of the paperwork phase I read a book, The Connected Child, that I loved. It was filled with hope, gentle, and insightful.

Thank you. I look forward to following your family story and watching Mateo thrive.